Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Dance, Work & Taxes

The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist
is that the taxidermist leaves the skin.
-Mark Twain

On the night of the 16th, Saturday, I went to an all-women's potluck party at the yoga studio. There were about 20-30 women, students of bellydance, flamenco and yoga as well as their friends. I brought bottles of sparkling grape and apple juice, which were quickly consumed soon after opening. The party was pretty fun; we performed 3 items! I discovered that I still feel a tinge of nervousness when dancing up close to an audience, especially if they are unsmiling and look judgmental, bordering on hostile. To those reading this: if you are ever part of an audience, try smiling or at least look interested when you watch a performance; it will help the dancers put up a great performance for you!

The situation at work has been ambivalent. I feel like the black sheep of the department, and a misfit in this company. I try telling myself, I've always been a misfit, what's new? - but it gets tiring sometimes, ya know. It's still a job that I love, but other factors are making working life there nearly untenable for me. What should I do? :(

Met up with Loki for dinner today, to get my EA form from our ex-company (the EA form is an annual income statement issued by employers to employees, which forms the basis on which the individual's tax return is prepared). It was good seeing him again. He's the only ex-colleague I could relate to when I was working, and the only one I am in touch with now. Oh well. Anyway. Laid out almost all related documents needed to fill in my tax form thingy on the bed now. Can't seem to find bookshop receipts I saved for tax exemption. Gah, I hate doing my taxes. Put me off the mood to write about some other stuff I had lined up for this post. Stay tuned for the next, hopefully more upbeat update.

In the meantime, a few links for your pleasure:

Stortroopers - This reminds me of playing with paper dolls when I was a kid.

Order of the Stick - Stick figures can be surprisingly entertaining!

Kierkegaard's Narrative - A paper on a Danish philosopher's plot outline that I found while surfing for movies based on Nick Hornby's books. Among the movies listed here, I've seen High Fidelity (of course), The Truman Show and Adaptation: all good movies in my books. Strange? Or maybe not so. It's good to watch "an aimless young man obsessed with aesthetics, finally commit to a single woman". :P