Saturday, April 09, 2005

Of Films and Links

How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
- Alexander Pope

No, still haven't sat down to write about Tioman yet. In the next post, hopefully. :) Pic editing is going well though.

When F was here we watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind on DVD. Finally. I've been wanting to watch this movie for a very long time. It's one of the best films I've ever seen, and I highly recommend it. However, if you're looking for a shiny happy romantic comedy, then look elsewhere. Eternal Sunshine stirs you, moves you, not just in a nice warm way but also in a painful way. It makes you fall in love, then rips your heart out. It induces introspection. It's brilliant. Watch it!

We also watched Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events in the cinema. I've only read the first, beautifully bound, book - The Bad Beginning, I believe it's called - and liked it very much. A bit expensive to buy the entire series (about RM19.90 per book), but I'll get round to it eventually. Yes, I read children's books. So what? But I digress. Back to the movie: great atmosphere, good actors, very entertaining. Dark, but with a warm heart. I liked all three main characters a lot, and the whole audience loved baby Sunny with her adorable biting habit. Those who like Tim Burton's work will probably enjoy it. A must-see. :)

Other movies seen recently were Be Cool (quite entertaining; The Rock takes on his best role ever!) and Spanglish (doesn't seem to have a very strong main point to it, but it's a warm, feel-good movie). We missed Sepet, which is too bad - I really wanted to watch for my second time, with him. That movie warrants a post of its own though, so I'll write bout it later.

Those of you who read my old blog know how much I love Skype. If you do, too, then you might be interested in this: VTech launches launches cordless phone compatible with Skype
(thanks for the link, FS!)

I'm always interested in advancements in technology that improve the quality of life (yes, there are some that, in my opinion, don't). And in light of the relatively poor water quality in KL, this article caught my eye: Community Water Works: Cheap water purification for developing nations
(link from BoingBoing)

Another link, this time on cheap, "very low-tech" ceramic water filters by a nonprofit organisation called Potters for Peace: Ceramic Water Filter Project

That's all for now, folks.