Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Siryn, the Book Monster

The greatest university of all
is a collection of books.
- Thomas Carlyle

Went to the Times warehouse sale on Labour Day, the one that CW invited me to go to last Friday. Not that much great stuff left, but still I managed to get 13 books (which includes the Chuck Palahniuk book I asked him to get for me). I just have to post this list before things get too stale:

Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk (RM8)
Field Guide to Gestures - Nancy Armstrong & Melissa Wagner (RM8)
Things my girlfriend and I have argued about - Mil Millington (RM8)
Before You Go (planning your gapyear) - Tom Griffiths (RM8)
Eat Me - Linda Jaivin (RM8)
Intercultural Marriage - Dugan Romano (RM20)
I Married A Barbarian - Dennis Bloodworth & Liang Ching Ping (RM3)
Fitness Stretching: the pleasures of staying supple - John Jerome (RM8)
The Third Witch - Rebecca Reisert (RM8)
New Free Chocolate Sex - Keith Lowe (RM8)
Good Girl's Guide to Negotiating - Leslie Whitaker & Elizabeth Austin (RM8)
The Only Boy For Me - Gil McNeil (RM8)
Chinese Palmistry - Henning Hai Lee Yang (RM8)

I wanted to include a good line from each book here, but after a few attempts I realized that it's a bit ambitious to go through 13 books in a short space of time. Yes, there are probably bloggers out there who would do it anyway, but I'm not one of 'em. :P

I've been very restrained this time but it's because 1) I'm broke, and 2) there are about 10 bags full of books bought from previous warehouse sales that I haven't had the chance to read... Apparently, there were other Palahniuk titles, as well as Kundera! Milan Kundera books!! Arrghhh! How come I didn't come across any?? :( Need to also look out for: Anthony Bourdain, Jeffrey Eugenides, Haruki Murakami and Hunter S. Thompson books in my second round, after salary's out.