Monday, September 19, 2005

Back to Blogging

I've voluntarily been tagged by Daniel of Suitcasing for his meme. Since there are five of them, I will post one (or more) every day for
the next few days:

FIVE BOOKS YOU THINK ARE GREAT

I enjoy reading, but I don't claim to be a great reader... Most of the following books can't be considered great pieces of intellectual literature, but they each mean something to me.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being (Milan Kundera)
Mr Kundera has the startling knack for putting into words the most abstract of tangled human emotions. This is my first Kundera book and my favourite thus far.

Bridget Jones's Diary & The Edge of Reason (Helen Fielding)
Actually 2 books, but read them as a set. In Bridget, Helen Fielding has created a character that is as warm and loveable as she is exasperating, yet avoids the pitfall irritating her readers. I personally know many women who can truly identify with Bridget and her experiences and feelings.

Boy & Going Solo (Roald Dahl)
I'll never get tired of Mr Dahl. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction, but perhaps it is the way you look at things that makes life interesting or otherwise. Follow Dahl through the highlights of his life, from childhood till the time he returns from his stint in the RAF during WWI (also 2 books, but I read the omnibus :P).

How to be Good (Nick Hornby)
It was a toss-up between this and Hornby's About A Boy. The characters in 'How To Be Good' feel so incredibly human, especially Dr Katie Carr, the main character. Her constant examination of her own values and actions really hits a chord in me.

The Awakening (Kate Chopin)
This was one of the things that helped me through a rough period in my life. I won't say how now, but maybe one day I will.

More to come:
Five places you would love to revisit
Five turnoffs in other people
Five things that were probably spawned by the Devil
Five pieces of alleged wisdom you would like to share

P/S: I suspect you all know why I've not been blogging... been very tired lately. But I will start to make time!