Saturday, July 08, 2006

New Blue

On Wednesday night, I finally started making the belt base for my new blue costume, and completed the 2-piece belt base at around... was it 2am? I forget. The belt is made of 2 layers of buckram, 2 layers of felt and a layer of pretty surface fabric... fearing the sewing machine, which I haven't been brave enough to try using yet, I handsewed everything.

I think one thing that made me procrastinate making the base was that I keep thinking that it's difficult to make (or I don't want to screw it up) because it's an item of clothing. I don't have the same kind of mental block when I cut a piece of paper or card in craft - why?

Anyway, I put the first layer of buckram - which was cut in the desired belt shape - on the felt and buckram, and safety-pinned the heck out of it then took a big breath and applied scissors to cloth. Sometimes you just gotta do it and not keep thinking about what could go wrong.

Happy and quite satisfied that I'd gotten it done at last. Now I need to cover the bra... which is trickier because you don't want to find that the cups have shrunk after you've covered them with the cloth (ie what happened with my purple costume bra - I feel like my cups will runneth over whenever I wear it! :P). Another thing that makes it tricky is the need to cut off all the original straps and stretchy bits and replace them with something sturdy like grosgrain ribbon, covered with the pretty surface fabric (non-stretch, more secure). I'm wondering if I should go this way, or to replace the straps with elastic covered with the pretty cloth (stretchable, more comfortable). We'll see..

I just finished a book Allegra lent me, called Empress Orchid by Anchee Min. It tells the story of the infamous Empress Tzu Hsi (CiXi), from her humble origins as the daughter of an impoverished Manchu bannerman to her ascent to become Emperor Hsien Feng's favourite wife. For decades Chinese schoolchildren have been taught that Empress Orchid was "a mastermind of pure evil and intrigue," but this author presents an intelligent, headstrong, yet compelling woman who used her beauty to become one of the Emperor's seven wives (also to escape marriage to her dimwitted cousin) and her brains to become his confidante and lover. It was an absolute page-turner, finished in 2 days. Highly recommended.

Now I'm reading The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd. In this book, the protagonist, Jessie Sullivan, a fortysomething, seemingly happily married woman returns to the remote island of her childhood due to some shocking news about her mother. There, she finds herself drawn to a Benedictine monk on the verge of taking his final vows. I'm more than halfway through now, and really like the gorgeous imagery and dreamy descriptiveness of Kidd's writing. It's such a treat to read good books, one after another!

The other day, I was talking to another dance student and encouraging her to come for more classes. She declined, saying she'll only come for the 6-7pm session and not stay for the 7-8pm one:

SY: bellydancing makes me hungry!
SY: especially whenever we do belly roll or stuff like that, sure hungers man!
Siryn: hehe ;-p
Siryn: but it's good for your belly, the rolls
Siryn: not bread rolls or sushi rolls, but bellyrolls :P
SY: lol lol lol
Siryn: hehe
I agree with her, though- it sure works up your appetite.. but I try not to eat after class, it's sort of counterproductive.. why replenish the calories you burned during class? :P

On to the World Cup Fever, which has gripped the planet for the past few weeks. I found a few amusing articles on the female perspective. For footie mad guys whose wives or girlfriends willingly, eagerly watch the games with you... if you think your lady is gripped by the action on the field... think again. ;)

* Women tune in to ogle hotties of World Cup
* Hot World Cup Footy Totty

P/S: No, I do not watch football. :P